AN AMBITIOUS PROJECT. BUT A LIFE-CHANGING OUTCOME.
Roshni is an ambitious and revolutionary all-female NGO in Chennai, Southern India. The Somerville JCR has established links with Roshni as last summer eight Somerville undergraduate students travelled to the School in India to teach students, share knowledge and inspire the children to focus on their education and dream big. The Somerville JCR are now looking to help Roshni continue its mission of inspiring first-generation students and women to thrive in education and business.
However, the school only has access to one single computer. For students growing up in 2018, their future careers will depend on them possessing basis IT skills that must be learnt at school.
So we are crowdfunding to fund the purchase of just six new computers that will revolutionise the way students learn, interact and develop.
ROSHNI SIGNIFIES 'LIGHT': ITS GOAL IS TO INSPIRE
Roshni stands out from the crowd of NGOs: it's led by an all-female group of passionate and dedicated women with the singular goal of challenging the status quo. It aims not just to empower financial independence of women in one of southern India's largest cities, but to drive forward education for ambitious first-generation students. At Somerville, our history of including the excluded, makes us even more passionate to help further Roshni's important mission.
THE SCHOOL OFFERS A LIFELINE TO MANY
As well as a highly successful micro-financing programme that helps hundreds of women set up their own business and gain critical financial independence across Chennai, one of the most significant branches of the NGO is a heart-warming school just outside the city.
A defining characteristic of the school is that the children are predominantly first-generation students, with their parents often working in unstable primary-jobs in the local communities.
The school offers a reduction in fees to a large number of students who are struggling to pay: up to 75% in some cases, providing a genuine lifeline for many parents and students who dream big.
OUR GOAL - fund 6 computers TO REVOLUTIONISE THEIR EDUCATION.
- The school currently has only one working computer to support the entire school.
- Our goal is to raise £3500 to fund 6 computers and 2 printers that will revolutionise classroom teaching.
- Below is a breakdown of how the money will be spent for equipment purchased:
- Cost of Computers: £444.80 (per unit) x 6
- Cost of Software: £55.60 (per unit) x 6
- Cost of Printers: £166.80 (per unit) x 2
- Cost of Installation: £88.96
- Cost of Delivery: £55.60
- Total Cost: £3480.56
- N.B. These costs are based off an exchange rate of 1 Rupee = 0.011 GBP
IMAGINE LIVING IN 2018 WITHOUT ACCESS TO A COMPUTER. LET'S CHANGE THAT.
- For children born in 2018, computer literacy is vital to success in the emerging markets.
- Rapid globalisation means children must be equipped to navigate the digital landscape.
- A rapidly growing IT industry in India is providing a huge range of career options for students.
- Students need access to basis computers in school to gain these critical skills as they enter the workplace and navigate the twenty-first century.
WE MADE A QUICK VIDEO.
We've created a short video to explain why you should support our work with Roshni. Please have a quick watch to see why we have invested so much time into supporting this incredible school, and why you should too.
CHECK OUT ROSHNI ON FACEBOOK
Check out the Roshni Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/RoshniChennaiNGO) and see for yourself the vibrant spirit and ambition of Roshni. By following the page, you will be able to keep up to date with developments at the school, see pictures from the students' daily life and catch a glimpse of Somerville's involvement with the NGO last Summer.
make a difference today and support roshni for the future.